International Graduate Student FAQ

Is there an application fee?

There is $50 application fee. You can start your online application at any time. Those looking to apply to the Physician Assistant program must apply through CASPA.

What kinds of scholarships do you offer graduate international students?


Richard J. Wehle School of Business has a Business Scholarship that you can apply for which will grant about $2,600 per semester if you are selected. For more information on the Business scholarships, please visit the Wehle School Scholarships and Assistantships page. This scholarship is only open to accepted students. The department will reach out if you are selected for any of the positions.

Unfortunately, there are no direct scholarship opportunities available for students in Cybersecurity, Data Analytics, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling, General Education, Sport Administration and Health and Human Performance.

*Please note that there are currently no scholarships that cover the full tuition amount. 



Do I need an official transcript evaluation such as WES?

We carry out our own course by course evaluation of the transcript you submit. There are cases, however, where you may be required to submit an official course by course transcript evaluation from a NACES accredited organization.  View  a complete list of approved agencies.

Please note that it usually takes one business day for us to process your application. If you have submitted your recommendation letters or English test scores, those will be checked off shortly. Please allow us 10-14 business days to carry out your in-house transcript evaluation. We are currently experiencing a surge in application numbers, therefore this processing time may be longer than usual. 

Can I be exempt from submitting English Language Proficiency test scores? Which tests qualify for the ELP requirement?

Due to our lack of ESL support on campus, it is rare we make exceptions in regards to submitting English Language Proficiency, or ELP, test scores. Please see our ELP Page to see which test scores are accepted and for more information on which countries receive exemption from submitting the test score.

Which programs are in person that I can come on campus to study?
  • Business Analytics
  • Clinical Mental Health Counseling
  • Cybersecurity
  • Data Analytics
  • Master’s in Finance
  • General Education
  • Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration (HESAA)
  • MBA
  • MBA in Professional Accounting
  • Physician Assistant Studies
  • School Counseling
  • Sport Administration
  • Sport Product Development
How can I send my official transcripts and test scores? Do all documents need to be submitted together?


  • Official transcripts must be sent to us directly from your school. Your school can email the documents right to @email.
  • Official test scores must be sent to us directly from the testing company via the score reporting feature on their website.*
  • We are unable to accept transcripts and test scores directly from students.
  • If your school is unable to provide an official translated copy of your transcript in English, we are only able to accept translated transcripts from a NACES accredited organization. Please use this link to see a complete list of approved agencies.
  • Application materials can be sent individually as they become available to you. Please note that your application cannot be reviewed until all application requirements have been fulfilled and your application is considered complete.


How do I receive an I-20? When will I get my I-20?

After submitting their completed Certificate of Finance form, supporting financial documents and a copy of their passport ID page,  accepted students will receive an email with next steps to obtain their student visa. Please visit our International Student Timeline page for an outline of the process.

How do I make my deposit from outside of the United States?

To make international payment more convenient, Canisius University has partnered with TransferMate, Flywire and NorthStar Currency in order to streamline the process of international payments for tuition and fees (either international payment provider can be used). Please refer to the International Payments page for instructions.

What are the start terms for my program?

Most programs have a Fall (August), Spring (January), and Summer (May) start. Please refer to the program page to get more information on start terms. Please note the Physician Assistant only offers a Spring (January) start and the Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration (HESAA) and MBA in Professional Accounting only offer a Fall (August) start.

I have already received a master’s degree or have taken master’s level courses. Will my credit(s) transfer?

To determine transfer credit eligibility, please email a copy of your transcript to @email along with information on which program you intend applying to.

What is the cost of attendance for one year?


The total cost varies depending on the tuition amount of each program. See the following for the breakdown of the cost of attendance which includes housing, food, health insurance, and supplies for one year per program. For more information on tuition and fees, please visit our Cost of Attendance page.

School of Business U.S. $35,300
Counseling U.S. $34,000
Cybersecurity U.S. $ 35,000
Data Analytics $35,300
HESAA $38,200
Physician Assistant $42,000


Are there any graduate assistantships available?

There is limited availability for Graduate Assistantships. Information on open positions will be sent via email to accepted and current students. These positions will typically require students to work 10-20 hours per week and will provide a tuition waiver for 1-2 courses per semester. Please note that these positions are competitive and hard to get; therefore we advise most of our graduate students that they need to be able to fund their studies through personal funds, family support, or loans.

Can I be exempt from submitting GRE/GMAT scores?

There are waivers available depending on your educational background and work experience. Please refer to your program’s webpage for specific admissions requirements and email @email if you have questions about waivers.

Are international graduate students allowed to take online courses?

International graduate students can take 3 credits online for every 6 credits they take in person per semester.

Will you accept my unofficial transcript and English test scores for review?

Yes, unofficial documents are accepted for review purposes. Accepted students will be required to submit their official documents.

I have been accepted. What are my next steps?


You will receive an acceptance email that will outline your next steps including paying your deposit, getting in touch with financial aid, and registering for classes. Your advisor’s contact information will also be included in case you have specific questions about course offerings.

*If you have questions about your visa status, please contact the International Office at @email.


How do I get information about the PA program?


Please see our Physician Assistant program page for more information. Please read all the information thoroughly as it includes most of the information students need to apply to the program. 

If you have specific questions about prerequisite courses or degree requirements, email the department at @email


Which graduate programs have STEM designation?

The following programs have STEM designation: Business Analytics, Cybersecurity, Data Analytics, and MS in Finance.

Is housing available for graduate students?

Yes, there are on-campus options available for graduate students. For more information on living experience and pricing, please visit our Graduate Housing page or contact Albert Pilato at @email.

I have been accepted but I cannot make it on time for the semester, can I defer my application?

Yes, you are able to defer your application once to the following semester. After deferring once, you must reapply to gain admission and enroll at Canisius. If you wish to defer your application, please email @email.