Chemistry and Biochemistry Department History

Canisius University celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2020. Chemistry has been an integral part of this long history, evolving from the early days when the College began on Washington Street in Buffalo, until moving to its new building at 2001 Main Street. Once in Old Main, the Chemistry Department developed its own identity, and in 1937 it found a home in the Horan O’Donnell Building.

Many thanks to Professor Emeritus Joseph Bieron for writing this history of the Department, which can be found in the links below.  Please share any comments about the history and stories about the Department with Phil Sheridan at  

Chapter 1  Introduction and Outline

Chapter 2  Survey of the College's Academic Catalogs, 1911-1940

Chapter 3  Chemistry Department Faculty and Administration

Chapter 4  Academic Programs and Course Requirements

Chapter 5  Physical Facilities for the Chemistry Department

Chapter 6  External Funding Sources and Extracurricular Programs

Chapter 7  Student Awards, Activities and Research

Chapter 8  Notable Achievements

Chapter 9  Faculty-Student Life in the Department

Chapter 10  Overview and Timeline - 100 years

Other Department History Materials