Canadian Admissions

Canisius University is home to students from a variety of states and countries. Our location here in the city of Buffalo means we are minutes from the Canadian - US border with Ontario. You’ll find Canadians and Canadian influences all across Buffalo and the Western New York Area. 

Aid for Canadian Students

Canisius University has been recognized as a Best Value School for the past 6 years and is committed to making a private education accessible. In addition to merit scholarships and specialized scholarship opportunities, we participate in some additional funding opportunities for Canadian students.

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a program for students who are Ontario residents of any age who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons. The program can help eligible students pay for their education through grants (money you don’t have to pay back) or a student loan (money you need to repay once you are done with school). Learn more about OSAP on their website.

Canisius University Canadian Aid Form

The Canisius University Canadian Student Financial Aid Application must be completed if you wish to be considered for any Canisius University funds (i.e. Canisius University Grant, Griffin Employment, etc.). Please complete the online form linked below or reach out to our Financial Aid and Student Records Office at 716-888-2600 for more information.

Fill Out Our Canadian Student Financial Aid Form 

Commuter Student Opportunity

With our close proximity to Ontario, you may qualify for a Border-Commuter status.

Border-Commuter Students

In 2002, the U.S. Congress passed the Border Commuter Student Act. This Act added a new, F-3 visa specifically for people commuting to the United States from Mexico or Canada in order to study. Students with F-3 visas are referred to as Border-Commuter Students. To qualify as a Canadian Border Commuter classification, students must:

  • Be a Canadian national with a permanent residence in Canada
  • Attend a college or university within 75 miles of the border
  • Be matriculated in a full course of study towards a degree, although they may choose to study full-time or part-time
  • Get an I-20 renewal each semester before the previous I-20 expires

If you do not fall under this category, learn more about our Student Housing here and get more information about obtaining a Student Visa here